Leonard Rosoman, RA (1913-2012)
A Londoner born and bred, he has lived in the city for most of his life, although he has travelled extensively. He studied at the University of Durham, then at the Royal Academy Schools, 1935-6, and at Central School of Arts and Crafts, 1937-8, under Bernard Meninsky.
During World War II Rosoman worked in the War Office illustrating books on fire fighting, before being appointed as an official war artist in 1944. The Imperial War Museum holds a large collection of his work.
After the war he taught, first at Camberwell, then Edinburgh, and at the Royal College of Art, 1956-78. His most important commissions were for murals for the Festival of Britain (1951), the Diaghilev Exhibition (1954), the British Pavilion at the Brussels International Exhibition (1958) and the Shakespeare Exhibition at Stratford upon Avon (1964).